we need to breathe some life back into this club so i have a few ideas on how to improve or at least get us started again.
here are some thoughts on the choice of books:
1. we keep going with the same idea. one girl a month chooses a book
2. we each throw out a few suggestions on books and we assign a book to each month
what do you think about the meetings?
1. we keep going how we have been
2. we assign a specific day each month to meet. for example the 2nd tuesday.
3. each girl takes a month hosting.
4. we always meet in the same place - someones house, laie shopping center, an abandoned shack in the hills
what do you think? any other suggestions?
7 remarks, observations, opinions:
i like the idea about having a pool of titles to choose from, at least that way we can keep up with reading.
and as for meeting, maybe choosing a certain day every month, unless of course something comes up for the one hosting.
and sometimes it's just easier for me to meet up somewhere, like angels last time. but it's nice to meet in homes, too.
I am good with whatever.
Let me try and be more helpful thought...I think if we are sticking with each girl taking a turn to host/choose each month that person just needs to be committed to letting us in on the title early enough - and pick one that's easy for people to get a hold of (I've been guilty of this, cough, P&P&Zombies, cough), checking in with people to remind about when we are meeting and where...etc
Also, I hate leaving my house at night, so maybe we could discuss at the playground or something? I know, the ladies like to meet kid free and I get that. I think that has just stopped me from coming a time or two in the past, but I hereby promise to get over it if night is easier for others.
I think someone just needs to say- here's what we are doing! And then give us reminders here and there and then it will succeed, yeah?
Just my two cents.
adding more cents to my earlier two -- i agree with steph - i can come in the day on my days off if i pencil it in early, sometimes that's easier than night because my kids are in school and i am free.
I agree with needing the re-vamp, seeing as I've only participated one month anyway- ha!
I like the idea of a certain day each month. That way it's always set aside and we just KNOW it's for book club! Perhaps we rotate every other month with day/night time meetings. Nights are easier for me b/c I have little, little kids running around- but it'd still be fun to get together at a playground, even if I miss most of a discussion- than not at all!
If we did it that way, for the daytime/ playground meeting we could have an array of books to chose from. And the month with the night time meeting the "host" for that month could chose the book...
Just throwing out ideas. Really, I just want/ need an excuse to allow myself to relax a little more and READ! So I'm vowing to be more involved. Yay!
I agree with Steph that when someone has a month, they need to take charge and choose something that is easy to get their hands on. Reminders are great and giving us enough time to read is even better.
About meeting up, I feel like I don't have much say. I only know a few of you and only know where 2 of you live. I agree that we should meet somewhere non-threatening like angels. I have a problem with meeting in the day because I work full time mon-fri. Im cool with you guys meeting at the playground. I have 2 little ones and I tooootally understand :)
Anyway, I'm not a really good member anyway. I've missed tons of meetings and at least 2 of my months to choose books. Ill keep checking back to see what you all decide :)
Oh I totally spaced that that won't work at all for Kristen to meet during the day! I TAKE IT BACK! hahaha This book club may be my only chance to see you EVER- wanna make sure you can come!
I'm more of a night-time type of person as I would just be running after the one year old the whole time at a playground.
I think its good for people to choose their books early and make them accessible. I've been in a book club that would choose their books in six month chunks (so everyone within the next six months would post theirs at the beginning). I like this because if I had extra time to read one month, I could always start on the next one and get a hold of books ahead of time so I didn't waste a week of the month just trying to get my hands on it and only having 2-3 weeks to get it read. Just a thought.
I am fine wherever we want to meet, homes, Angel's- doesn't really matter to me.
Post a Comment